Friday 3 May 2013

REVIEW: Covergirl & Olay Simply Ageless Eye Concealer

Hey everyone! How are you today? It's really windy at the moment here :\

Todays review is going to be on an eye concealer. I think I have pretty bad dark circles under my eyes that never seem to go away even if I get a lot of sleep. My parents don't have dark circles so I don't think it's a genetic problem soooooooo... it must be something else :( but thank gosh for concealers!

On a daily basis, all I wear is concealer, powder and eyeliner (and sunscreen if you want to count that in too). Every now and then I'll decide to wear some eyeshadow or bb cream if I feel like it. I don't have really bad skin which is why on most days, I don't even wear bb creams or foundation. I haven't found my HG (holy grail) concealer yet but this one does a pretty good job :) The reason why I'm not classifying this as my HG concealer is because there are just so many more out there that I want to try, so for the time being, this is one of the good concealers out of all the ones I own.

It's the Covergirl & Olay Simply Agless eye concealer. I have it in shade 210 "Light". When I bought this there were only two shades to choose from (the other was the shade no.215 "Light Medium"). On the website there are a total of 4 shades.




Where I purchased it: Big W (retails for ~$17 at Big W and at most places that sell this product)

What it claims: "This creamy formula covers imperfections, conceals under-eye circles, and visibly brightens skin. Like all Simply Ageless makeup, it's made with Olay Regenerist Serum, so it stays suspended over fine lines and wrinkles, for younger, firmer-looking skin.

  • Transforms from solid to liquid on contact with skin
  • Evens skin tone
  • Brightens skin under eyes for a more wide-awake look"

Packaging: It comes in a small glass pot that contains 9g (0.3 oz). I find products that come in a glass pots to be very bulky and that it's only in a glass pots to make it seem like there's more product but this one does have quite a lot of product! Which is great for a change. For those who consider products that come in jars to be unhygienic then this may not be for you. I don't know... it's up to you. I think that as long as your hands are clean when you use products in a jar then you should be fine :) The one thing that I'm not too keen about products that come in pots in general is that they tend to dry out quite quickly but yeah other than that, nothing else about it bothers me.

My thoughts: The product itself is amazing! It has a thick but smooth and creamy consistency which I don't usually enjoy, but this one blends really well into the skin and gives a buildable medium to heavy coverage. However, I don't think that it transforms into liquid once it comes to contact with your skin as it claims. It's has a creamy consistency in the jar and is the same when you apply it so I don't see any changes in the state of the product. I found that if you applied too much then it does become quite cakey and settles into the fine lines a little but all concealers do that to me anyway.
The best way I've found to apply this concealer is using my finger tip to lightly apply a thin layer and using a dabbing motion to blend. If I don't feel like getting my fingers dirty, then I like to use my Sigma P82/80 brush and then set it all with a powder.
I have the shade in no.210 and with that shade, I do find that it does have a brightening effect. I used to only use concealers in the same shade as my skin tone but after using this, I love how it lightens the under-eye area and makes me look more awake - which is what it claims :) but we all know that anything light under our eyes is going to give a brightening effect anyway ehehhee
As for lasting power, it lasted a good full day of school for me which is usually 9-10 hours. I did notice that it faded a little after 6-7 hours (with setting powder) but it wasn't bad. I didn't need to reapply (yes I do reapply my concealers sometimes so not having to reapply is amazing for me!) yayyyyyyy
I don't recommend using this concealer on any other parts of your face - such as red spots and blemishes, unless you don't have dry patches. I tried using this on the red areas around my nose but it just made my dry patches stand out :( so yeahhhh I don't think you should use this on other areas apart from the under-eye area. It's made for the under-eye area anyway but you can go ahead and try, it may work for you :)

 (unblended)

(blended)

(How my under-eyes look without anything on - doesn't show up as badly in this photo)

(Concealer - unblended)

Comparison to the right under eye (Blended on the left eye - right side of this photo - one layer, no primer) 
-Good enough for me on a daily basis

Comparison to the right under eye (Blended on the left eye - right side of this photo - two layers & no setting powder) 
-You can kind of see it starting to settle a little into the fine lines but all concealers tend to do that on me. 

Make-ing-up my mind!
- Would I repurchase?  Yes I would repurchase this only when it goes on sale though. The price for it is quite expensive but that's usually the average price for a lot of the drugstore make-up in Australia. Boo. Sucks right? BUT, for the price and the amount of product you get it's pretty good if we're talking about Australian pricing. (I feel like I'm going to complain about Australian pricing in a lot of my reviews........ but that's only because I know how much cheaper they are in other countries!)
I don't think I'll be needing to repurchase this for a while though. There is a lot of product and you only need a little bit each time you use it so I think it'll last you for quite a while. Just make sure to tightly close the lid and store upside down so it doesn't dry out.
- Do I recommend? I do recommend this for people with dark under-eyes and for people who have mature skin as it supposedly gives you younger and firmer looking skin. I wouldn't know because I'm still quite young - I don't have wrinkles and such so yeah. Just make sure that you don't use too much because it can look cakey as the consistency is quite creamy and thick. If you don't want this to settle into the fine lines, then I recommend using this with a primer to smooth out the under-eye area and to also make the concealer last longer :D

*I hope you don't mind all my red spots. I know they don't look very appealing but I didn't want to wear any foundation/bb cream. I just wanted my bare skin to show you how my under eye looks. AND excuse my brows :( I haven't filled them in :3

Have you tried this concealer? What are your favourite concealers?

Until next time!

<3 Pochu

(All products mentioned in the above post were bought with my own money. Review is in my honest opinion)

5 comments:

  1. we've actually been wanting to try this for some time. It looks great! We agree that it is a bit pricey though. We wish it was as cheap as it is in the UK! Then we wouldn't have to wait for it to be on sale!

    http://mkstyleramblings.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is a bit pricey but you get a lot of product which works out well i guess haha xD
      I'm always wishing our makeup was like as cheap as in the UK and the USA :(

      let me know if you do try it out! :D

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great concealer! I was a little skeptical about the swirly design, but it looks like it works nicely for your under-eyes :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I thought the swirly design was cool! but once you mix it together it just turns into the concealer colour - no more swirly design haha :P

      Delete
  3. Great review, I agree with you in most of the things, but i defenitly don't think it gets cakey or anything, I actually wear two layers of the corrector (the yellow one) and after that, i wear two layers of the concealer (yes I do like to put a lot because I'm a real raccoon :(), and actually... I've put another layer after a few hours just to see if it worked, and it didn't get cakey at all for me... and doesn't settle into fine lines... I have wore it for almost 15 hours and it still was almost intact... It's super pricey but works every penny

    ReplyDelete