Thursday 25 April 2013

REVIEW: Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick no.128 "STARRY-EYED"

Hey everyone. This is going to be my first beauty product review on this blog. I'm excited and a little nervous - I don't know why but yeah... If there's anything that you think I should add to make my reviews better then please let me know :)

I'll try my best to review as many products that I can. I am aware that many of the products I plan to review on have already been reviewed by other beauty bloggers and youtube gurus but I wanted to have my two cents on the products as well. I usually tend to do a lot of research on products that I want to be because in Australia, you can't really return beauty products - unless there is actually something wrong with the product itself or you don't get what is shown on the package (I think...). But yeah, you don't usually get to return a lot of things. I do have those moments where I just buy stuff without researching it and a lot of the times I regret it but hopefully, if you're like me and like to research about some stuff before you buy it, my reviews help you out a little.

Enough with the babbling, let's get on to the actual review.

Todays review is going to be on the Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in no.128 "Starry-Eyed"






Where I purchased it: Priceline (retails for $9.95 at Priceline)

What it claims: "High colour impact for up to 8 hours wear. Colour that turns heads! Intense long lasting colour up to 8 hours +25% colour impact! Smooth creamy texture for comfortable wear all day long"

Packaging: Regular lipstick packaging, slanted top with the Rimmel log imprinted in the top.
I find that the lid seems to come off really easily - even after I've clicked it on. I definitely wouldn't have this just hiding somewhere in my hand bag because the lid would most likely come off. If you have a make-up bag that you carry around with you, then it's fine to keep it in there or in a small compartment of your bag but keep in mind that the lid does come off quite easily. But then again, this could be just the particular tube that I have which is unfortunate but I can look past it.

My thoughts: In my opinion, the colour itself seems to be a deep red-burgandy colour with a slight purple undertone. It is highly pigmented and for me, the colour is true to the lipstick bullet (I have quite pigmented lips to begin with). A light application gives a dark berry tint and the more you layer it, the more it becomes a deep burgandy shade that gives a vampy feel - great for those wanting a dark lip for the upcoming colder seasons. I've read other reviews online and many point out the fine golden shimmer in it however, I did not notice this. There is no overwhelming smell - slightly sweet but that's all I can think of when it comes to the smell of this lipstick. 
I've been trying to find a dark burgandy colour for so long and this at the moment, seems to be the only one that suits my skin tone and doesn't make my teeth look yellow *happy dance*
It claims to last up to 8 hours on the lips but I noticed after the 3-4 hour mark, it had already faded to just a tint on the lips. I don't mind having to reapply but this definitely does not last 8 hours and it transfers when you eat or drink something. It's quite moisturising when you first apply it however it does dry out - not to the point where there are cracks on your lips but just where you can't feel the smoothness of when you first applied which is typical of most lipsticks. It doesn't emphasise the cracks on your lips if you have dry lips to begin with but I don't think any lipstick looks good on dry lips no matter the colour. TIP: I like to lightly exfoliate my lips in the morning with a damp towel and moisturise them before putting on my make-up. (Below are my swatches)

(swatch on the back of my hand)

(Natural colour of my lips + Maybelline's Babylips lip balm)

(One layer applied)

 (Two layers applied)


Make-ing-up my mind!
- Would I repurchase? Yes! I would definitely repurchase this. It's quite inexpensive and has great pigmentation
- Do I recommend?:  I definitely recommend this for anyone who's wanting to try a deeper lipstick colour that gives a 'vampy' feel. It's not dark enough to give a gothic look (unless you like fully go crazy with black eye-liner and all that) so if you're worried about it looking too dark then don't worry. It's great for the Autumn/Winter seasons so if you feel like a dark colour but don't know which one to try out, I recommend this one.
I already know that this lipstick is going to be my go-to dark lipstick for the coming autumn/winter months already.
*Plus, the name of this lipstick is very similar to one of my friend's Tumblr - you can check her out here! She has great posts and are very interesting to read :)

Have you tried this lipstick? What are your thoughts on the 'vampy'/dark lips trend?

Until next time!

xox Pochu

(All products mentioned in the above post were bought with my own money. Review is in my honest opinion)

5 comments:

  1. I like I like I like c:
    (especially that gif on the top corner haha <3)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are sooo cute! lipstick looks good on you! i love how rimmel lipsticks feel, i think they are the best drugstore lipsticks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me it comes out very vampy looking, quite purple. There's barely any red in it for me.

    ReplyDelete