Sunday 26 May 2013

REVIEW: Maybelline Master Shape Eyebrow Pencil

Hey everyone! It's been a while since my last review. Sorry~ I've been busy working and studying for my upcoming exams so yeah but here's my new review :)

So this  review is going to be on an eyebrow pencil. I generally only use my eye-shadow powder to fill in my brows but when I saw this on the rack at Priceline, I thought to myself 'why not?' so I picked it up and bought it. This is an example of when I didn't do any research about the product beforehand and then regretting buying it.

My brows are already naturally thick however there are some sparse spaces that I just like to fill out to make them look more polished and just better in general. When I fill them, I like to just follow the natural shape that's already there. I don't feel the need to make them thicker or extend them.

Today I am going to review the Maybelline Master Shape Eyebrow Pencil in the shade no.260 "Deep Brown". They have three shades available in this range and I have the darkest shade.



(Pencil end) 

(Spoolie/brush end)

Where I purchased it from: Priceline (retails for $11.50 at Priceline)

What it claims: "Natural wax formular, with subtle colour pigments. Creates hair-like fine lines for the most definition. Feather with refined groomer to master the shapely brow. 
  • Unique wax formula, with subtle colour pigments, creates hair-like fine lines
  • Feather through brows with the refined groomer for the finishing touch
  • Safe for sensitive eyes and opthalmologist-tested
  • Contact lens safe"

Packaging: It comes in a plastic pencil which at first I thought it was a mechanical pencil that you could rotate in order to get more product out. However, this is not the case. In fact, you have to sharpen this pencil and I absolutely hate it. You get 600 mg (0.02 oz) of product. When I tried to sharpen it, it was hard to sharpen and when it did it didn't come out with a clean sharpened tip because the body is made of plastic. I feel like if I continue to sharpen this, it would just ruin my sharpeners. I do love the spoolie/brush end though. I think that it's great to blend out the colour to give a more 'natural' look but it just doesn't work well with the product because of how waxy it is. I will keep the pencil for the spoolie and use it for when I do my brows with my usual eye-shadows.

My thoughts: I personally don't like the waxy feeling at all. I know that some people like to use like clear mascara/wax to 'set' their brows and keep it in place after they've finished filling them in but the feeling that this product is just so... ugh! I don't know if this is possible but I feel like it made my brows feel sort of heavy which is definitely due to the wax. It made my eyebrow hairs stick to my skin  and made the hairs look kind of clumpy because they some of them were stuck together. It left a sticky feeling after I applied it and dried out during the day which did not feel nice at all. However, it is quite pigmented but because it's so waxy, it was really hard to make the colour stay without it smudging while I was applying. I found that when I used the brush end to try and blend it out, the product was just disappearing o_o 
The pencil itself is really soft. It used up a lot of product when I tried to fill in my brows the first time I used it and breaks very easily when I tried to sharpen it. Plastic body that is hard to sharpen with really soft lead doesn't go well together.
Once I did manage to fill in my brows, I did like how they looked. But I could just achieve the same look/pigmentation with my regular eye-shadows. I've used this on more than one occasion hoping it would somehow work out because I hate talking negatively about products but this pencil makes me not want to try out any other brow pencils! :( But I will just because I love trying out new products ^_^ 
This product just took too much effort and I didn't like the feeling of it.

(Swatch on the back of my hand - had to run over the line a couple times)

(How my brows are normally. They're not bad and I can get away without filling them in but I like to fill in the sparse areas anyway)


- I really do like the brush end and I think that more brow pencils should include them

(How they look filled in - pretty good, right? Too bad the product itself isn't that great)
- I do like how it holds my hairs together but the waxy feeling is just so ugh

Make-ing-up my mind!
- Would I repurchase? No, I will not repurchase
- Do I recommend it? No, I do not recommend this product. If you really want to try this product out then go ahead and try it out for yourself because what doesn't work for me might work for you and you might even like the waxy brow look. But I hated it. It's uses up so much product and is hard to sharpen. Like I mentioned before, I will keep the pencil because I like the brush end and that's the only positive thing about this product. I would've thrown this pencil out by now if it didn't have the brush end on it.

It makes me sad to say such negative things about a product :( But I really don't like this

Have you tried this? Do you recommend any brow pencils or do you just eye-shadow like I do? :)

Until next time!

<3 Pochu

(All products mentioned in the above post were bought with my own money. Review is in my honest opinion)

3 comments:

  1. I wanted to get this because the product is amazing, too bad the packaging is shit

    ReplyDelete
  2. when will your next review be up? it has been a while

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really use eyebrow products, and because it doesn't feel too nice, I'd probably skip this! Thanks for the review! New follower here! *__*

    Peek at my blog, please? C: (Follow if you'd like?) Junniku blog [Click!]
    - A Korean fashion, beauty and lifestyle blog!

    ReplyDelete